Tuesday, September 25, 2012

More discontent


Jr is not well. Jr is unwell a lot. So we want to get it looked at.

Our normal GP has been reluctant to look into the situation, dismissing it as "just daycare". But the director at daycare says his absences are a little more frequent than average. So we ask around and one of the parents on MrsG's facebook suggested this guy up at Blacktown. Her child has had the same experiences and she found him to be most thorough in his investigation and follow-up. The only thing is that you can't make appointments- you have to just front up at 0800 and take pot luck.

So off we trot- Jr's mood has been wavering today: he woke at 0500 crying and inconsolable. So I stayed up with him and watched the Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, and Pinky & the Brain, got him ready, and went through the Centre door at 0756.

The receptionist was arguing with a patient about his wife, who was completing a new-patient form.

"Who is your wife?"

"I already tell you!"

"I don't know your wife!"

"She over there."

Clearly not operating in his first language, and the receptionist seemed not to be operating on all cylinders either. She finishes with them, and I say, as I hand her my Medicare Card,

"I'm here to see Dr [name concealed]. I haven't been here before."

She hands me a new-patient form, and I complete it while Jr is climbing up and down the stairs. I return to the desk, and she tells me,

"Dr [name concealed] only sees his regular patients."

"But I came especially to see him!"

"Dr [name concealed] only sees his regular patients," she reiterates, as though I'm not operating in my first language.

"So, he's not taking any new patients?" Just to be sure- I mean, he was recommended.

"No, but another doctor will be in s..."

I gesture that I want the new-patient form back with my Medicare card, exclaim, "Great way to run a business".

I had been battling with Jr the entire time, chasing him up and down the steps, and back down in the lift, completing this form with one hand while trying to tame Jr at the same time. My opening gambit was, "I'm here to see Dr [name concealed]. I haven't been here before." Would that not be the time to say something?"

We went to McDonalds so I could debrief (the older woman in front of me seemed not ever to been to a McRestaurant before, taking forever, and Chloe behind the till seemed to be holding on to her composure for all she was worth, but whether or not management could see that Jr was going spare with the extended wait didn't seem to make them want to open another till), call my absence in to work, and make an appointment with our regular GP (if he doesn't want to follow through Jr's issues, I'll be asking for a referral to a paediatrician- it'll probably cost more but will get Jr's health issues sorted out).

Now sending the relevant part of this blog to the Medical Centre, not that, I'm sure, it will make any difference...


peterg
25Sep12

No comments:

Post a Comment