Sunday, June 7, 2020

Look what I found at http://www.geocities.ws/p_terg/ (Post 2.0)

While chatting online with a fellow reviewer, I decided to see if my stuff from the 1990s was still online.

When it was announced that Geocities would stop hosting free websites I was willing to let it all go.

But since then, many people, including oocities, reocities, and geocities-ws have mirrored content that was (and I'm paraphrasing here) culturally significant!

Which is lucky for me because I have had a look back and there's a helluva lot of material there!

Here are the categories (some of the links in the page are no longer viable):
  • Alternative - music that, before 1991, would only have been played on college, community, or pirate radio. 
  • Pop & other - Jazz (be it traditional or new-styled), Nouveau-pop, World music, ‘Pop’ of the traditional ‘three-minute’ variety, as well as anything that isn't quite Alternative but probably could be... 
  • Compilations - one of the best ways to get your music in more faces, sometimes at less cost than your own CD. And then there’s sampler CDs from organisations whose sole aim is to promote new music.
  • Live - my comment on live gigs at various levels around Sydney from 9 August 1995, including Brian May at Sydney’s old Capitol Theatre; Wave AidAmanda Easton: the lady who got me back into this; and the band that caused my tinnitus, Screaming Jets, in December 2000.
  • Country -  a selection of country and western releases I have reviewed since starting this writing thing! You might note a significant gap between the most recent and the ones before that... take a look at the Mary Schneider review to find out why!
  • The Directory has since gone the way of dead websites. It was a huge list, too big for the Geocities servers to handle, containing every artist reviewed on the site. I really have to make that work again.
  • Loud - speaks for itself, really. My favourite form of music.
  • MP3s - Planned as a review of all artists A-Z on the mp3.com.au website, an ambitious project that never got past A in the writing but Hero Puppy in the pre-planning. None of the links appear to be viable any more.
  • Your Reviews - I invited punters, friends, and colleagues to write and contribute their own reviews. I met Cindy on the Yahoo poker-tables and she became the North American arm of the site; Glen, a friend of my brother-in-law’s, was the basis of Trophy Wives ,  Honest John, Salty, and 3 On The Tree; and Mick is a mate of Glen’s who still loves it quite loud!
  • Press - only a couple of these links remain viable; the Dan and Mick Carter ones have died, as have the Alta Vista, Anzwers, Google, Hot Bot, Lycos, MSN, and Yahoo! links as they existed at the time. I have recently even referenced the Country Goss article while chatting with a Swedish-metal guitarist.
I hope to be able to revive this aspect of my life again ... if not for these pages then elsewhere (see also https://peterg-gleeson.blogspot.com/2011/12/music-reviews-website.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment